March 22, 2017

If Not For You. Debbie Macomber

book cover
Published:  Ballantine
Date: March 21st 2017
Format: e-ARC
Pages:
Genre: Contemporary Romance
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Rating:
4 stars         Add to Goodreads
If not for her loving but controlling parents, Beth Prudhomme might never have taken charge of her life and moved from her native Chicago to Portland, Oregon, where she’s reconnected with her spirited Aunt Sunshine and found a job as a high school music teacher.

If not for her friend Nichole, Beth would never have met Sam Carney, although first impressions have left Beth with serious doubts. Sam is everything Beth is not—and her parents’ worst nightmare: a tattooed auto mechanic who’s rough around the edges. Reserved and smart as a whip, Beth isn’t exactly Sam’s usual beer-drinking, pool-playing type of woman, either.


My thoughts banner

I loved the prologue which whet my interest, and made me want to read on.  A little drama goes a long way!

The contrast of characters in Sam and Beth was interesting but not really surprising.    Sam might seem a little rough with his tattoo, long hair and  strong language.  But he is loved by a couple of children which is kind of telling.  His values are good, although his head is a little mixed up as it turns out.

Beth is an  only child with a mother who is a bit of a snob and rather controlling.  Beth has to move to Portland to make her point that she is her own person, that she can stand on her own two feet, make choices for her life that will make her happy. Perhaps the choices will not earn her the approval of her mother, but then her mother's values are a little skewed.

I thought the apple does not fall far from the tree because Beth got into a little meddling herself. All done with the best of intentions but was she justified? Or did those people she set out to help heal, need her gentle prod. 

This is a rather straight forward romantic story, with interesting enough characters and a plot that moved along well and was all tied up very neatly at the end. A light, pleasant read.
If Not For You e card



10 comments:

  1. Kathryn,
    This sounds like an engaging romantic story. Lovely review, and blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Light and pleasant is ok with me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Macomber's books so I'm sure I'll get to this one. This sounds fairly typical :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its been a while since I read a Macomber, I love her Christmas stories. Thanks Kathryn!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got it from the library yesterday, can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always enjoy Debbie Macomber...and I am reminded now of one of her books on my stacks still unread (Love Letters).

    I think about the words in that title, and I could apply that idea to my own life...e.g., If not for my friend Judi, I wouldn't have gone to that party, and therefore wouldn't have met the man who later became my second husband...I could go on and on.

    Thanks for sharing...and I always love the Portland setting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find this author's books are feel-good books which are great when you need a good pick-me-up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. THis sounds nice though I have a feeling Beth's meddling might get on my nerves. I haven't read many of Macomber's stand alones and I really need to try them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love stories where the down to earth guy wins the heart of snob girl :) And yes! controlling mother make their daughters controlling too :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Her covers are always so pretty. Debbie Macomber has always been one of those authors that writes uplifting novels with a bit of romance and angst. She's perfect for light, summer, beach reads.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...